Hover over date to see available events:
Fill out this form to request information on Summer Camp or Contact the Camp Office at 305.271.9000 x271
2020 Camp J registration is online only.
For questions or more information about Summer Camp, please contact the Camp Office at 305.271.9000 x271
Only at our Camp J Miami will you find an exceptionally qualified staff and high quality programming led by Camp & Inclusion Director, Nikki Fernandez.
Summer Camp 2020 Dates: June 15 – August 7
Session 1 - 6/15-7/10
Week 1 - 6/15-6/19
Week 2 - 6/22-6/26
Week 3 - 6/29-7/2
Week 4 - 7/6-7/10
Session 2 - 7/13-8/7
Week 5 - 7/13-7/17
Week 6 - 7/20-7/24
Week 7 - 7/27-7/31
Week 8 - 8/3-8/7
Camp Hours: 8:45 am to 3:45 pm
ONE PRICE, ONE COMMUNITY - JCC SUMMER CAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP
$99 ALL-INCLUSIVE JCC SUMMER MEMBERSHIP FOR NEW CAMP FAMILIES AND $199 FOR RETURNING CAMP FAMILIES*: While your kids enjoy camp, the entire family can enjoy the JCC’s 23-acre campus, including a state-of-the-art fitness center, sauna and steam room, Jr. Olympic-sized pool, basketball gym, racquetball courts, tennis courts, and free childcare while using the fitness center. All Alper JCC summer camp families must have a Family Annual Membership or join the Alper JCC as a Camp Family Member through Aug. 31, 2019. Call Alper JCC Membership Services at 305.271.9000 x235 for more info. $99 offer is for new camp families only. Membership fee is non-refundable and must be paid in full at time of registration.
What Makes Us Special?
• Unique 23 acre campus with 15,000 sq. ft. air-conditioned gymnasium
• Outdoor chilled/heated 25 yard pool
• Three age-appropriate playgrounds
• Computer lab
• Fully equipped art and ceramics studio
• Professional theater
• Seven hard surface tennis courts
• Teaching kitchen
• Two dance/fitness studios
• Staff are all trained in safety, behavior management, conflict resolution, and group dynamics
• Strong sense of community through facilitating relationships that last a lifetime
• Social and emotional growth that our campers experience and life skills that they take away
• Jewish values that are common across many religions give our campers a deeper connection to our culture, values, and traditions
• Building Jewish identity
• Hands-on Judaism through art, music, dance and drama
• Jewish values
• Ruach - extraordinary spirit led by Israeli counselor
• Shlichim, Israeli counselors
• Weekly Shabbat programs
• Mitzvah program (Good Deeds)
• Weekly Special Events
• Weekly Theme Dress Up Days
• Tzofim Israeli Souts
• July 4th All Camp BBQ
• Israel Day
• Maccabia (Color War)
Chugim (Choice) Time Activities
• 3-D Multi Media Art • Artistic Accessories • Arts and Crafts • Baseball • Basketball • Cooking/Nutrition • Human Board Games • Ceramics or Wheel throwing • Chess • Computers • Drama or Improv Games • Field Games • Football • Hip Hop/Jazz • Jewelry Making • Kids Cuisine • Martial Arts • Music Trivia • Nature • Painting and Drawing • Rocketry • Science • Soccer • Tennis • Watercolor • Woodworking • and more!
Inclusive Summer Camp
JCC Summer Camp strives to create the most inclusive and supportive environment for children of all abilities. We enthusiastically welcome children and teens with developmental disabilities and/or physical challenges in all camp programs. Children in the inclusion program may have accommodations made and receive special assistance from a facilitator. All applicants must complete an individualized assessment to determine whether the program will meet the needs of each prospective camper. For more info, contact Camp Director and Inclusion Director Nikki Fernandez at 305.271.9000 x273 or email@example.com.
Peanut and Tree Nut Aware Camp
Campers may bring their own lunches daily, clearly marked with their name. We request that camp families not send any lunch or snacks to camp to camp with nuts in the ingredients. Alper JCC provides non-dairy drinks and snacks. An optional Kosher lunch program is available for purchase.
Not Jewish? No problem!
Whether you are Jewish, Jew-ish, and/or just want to be part of a community that is open to everyone, we're #YourJEveryDay!
TEENOKIM “Babies” | Infants-1 after 8/31/20
NITZANIM “Young Ones” | 1 year by 8/31/20
K’TANIM “Little Ones” | 2 years by 8/31/20
CHAVERIM “Friends” | 3 years old by 8/31/20
YELADIM “Children” | 4 years old by 8/31/20
KADIMA "Children" | Entering Kindergarten
SABRA "Native Israeli" | Campers Entering Grade 1
BONIM "Builders" | Campers Entering Grade 2
HALUTZIM "Pioneers" | Campers Entering Grade 3
TSOFIM "Scouts" | Campers entering Grade 4-5
RISHONIM "First" | Campers Entering Grade 6-8
Every week at Camp J Miami is filled with music, art, sports, sensory play, scientific discovery, cooking, stories, friendship and so much more all with a fun weekly theme! Your child will get to explore new things and engage in developmentally appropriate activities in our APPLE accredited program while being well cared for by our experienced staff.
Experienced certified teachers lead each ECD camp group. Together they create an environment specifically designed to promote socialization, language development and creativity for our youngest campers.
TEENOKIM "Babies" | Infants - 1yr. after 8/31
NITZANIM "Young Ones" | Toddler - 1 yr. before 8/31
K’TANIM "Little Ones" | 2 years old by 8/31
• Arts & crafts • Cooking • Creative Movement / Dance • Music & rhythm • Dance Time • Gymnastics • Judaic programs • Indoor play • Outdoor games • Water/splash activities • Weekly themes • Storytelling • Hands-on projects • Special events • Shows • Character visits
CHAVERIM "Friends" | 3 years old
YELADIM "Children" | 4 years old
• Daily instructional American Red Cross swim readiness program led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Arts & crafts • Art room • Physical education • Judaic activities • Nature • Music • Creative movement/dance • Gymnastics • Yoga • Cooking • Sciece • Soccer program • Special events and costume days • Weekly themes
Contact ECD: Contact the Early Childhood Development Center to register for ECD Camp at 305.271.9000 x301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Every day is something new at Camp J Miami…No two days are alike!
This summer, adventures abound as we explore everything camp has to offer. Camp J Miami is a safe, fun, and caring environment that offers youth entering grades K-8 the opportunity to enjoy the traditional day camp experience. From daily Flag Pole to specialist programming, your campers will enjoy a wide variety of activities led by trained and experienced staff and designed to give them a summer experience unlike any other.
KADIMA "Forward" | Entering Kindergarten
SABRA "Native Israeli" | Campers Entering 1st Grade
• Instructional American Red Cross swim readiness program (3-4x per week) led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Skill-oriented variety of physical education programs including: Kickball, basketball, outdoor games and martial arts • Arts & crafts • Judaic activities • Yoga • Nature • Ceramics • Music • STEM • Soccer program • Chugim (choice) Time • Drama and Improv Games • Cooking • Israeli dancing • Special events and dress up days • Field trips • Optional late night each session (Sabra Only)
BONIM "Builders" | Campers Entering 2nd Grade
HALUTZIM "Pioneers" | Campers Entering 3rd Grade
• Instructional American Red Cross swim readiness program (3x per week) led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Complete skill-oriented physical education program including: Kickball, basketball and outdoor games • Expanded Chugim (choice) Time program • Ceramics • Cooking • Music • Drama and Improv Games • Arts & crafts • Computers • Nature programs/hands-on discovery • STEM • Late Night each session • Field trips to exciting locations
TSOFIM "Scouts" | Campers entering 4th-5th Grades
TSOFIM campers, twice a week, travel to interesting South Florida destinations.
• Instructional American Red Cross swim readiness program (3x per week) led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Adventure trips in the tri-county area • Basketball • Football • Chugim (choice) Time program • Arts & crafts • Ceramics • Chess • Computers • Jewelry making • STEM • Multi-media Art • Nature • Rocketry • Music • Cooking
RISHONIM "First" | Campers Entering 6th-8th Grade
RISHONIM campers travel to interesting locations in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Terrific trips with skill instruction include canoeing, ice skating, bowling and more.
Each session, there is one overnight trip to a fantastic destination spot such as Orlando, Tampa or Rapids Water Park in West Palm Beach.
RISHONIM campers travel twice a week to interesting locations in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Terrific trips with skill instruction include canoeing, ice skating, trampoline parks and more.
Second Session there will be an overnight trip to the fantastic Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Not included in tuition price for regular or The Children's Trust (TCT) pricing. Addidional Fee of $150 applies.
• Recreational Swimming Program led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Adventure trips in the tri-county area • Basketball • Football • Chugim (choice) Time program • Arts & crafts • Ceramics • Chess • Computers • Jewlery making • STEM • Multi-media art • Nature • Robotics • Rocketry • Cooking • Music • Overnight trip to Universal Studios
Whether it is getting first-class tennis instruction, performing on a theatre stage, or learning the art of gymnastics, Camp J Miami specialty camps are a great way to have fun while gaining a specialized skill. Our camps provide professional focused instruction, which results in fun with learning, mixed in. Let this be a summer of fun and recreation.
HABIMAH "Performing Arts Camp" | Campers entering grades 3-8
Lights, Camera, Action! HABIMAH campers expand their horizons and artistic potential in dance, drama, art, set and costume design and music. Under the guidance of our highly trained and talented staff, campers are immersed in a high level, 4-week production schedule filled with rehearsals, set designing, and a final musical performance at the end of each session.
Habimah campers travel on several field trips throughout the summer, attend Intensive Workshops in various styles of dance and participate in many JCC camp special events, including late nights. In addition to the arts, campers participate in an instructional swim program three times per week.
Ballet • Lyrical • Drama • Jazz • Hip Hop • Make-Up Artistry • Musical theater • Painting & Drawing • Set Design • Tap • Swim - instructional and recreational • Costume Design
MACCABI "Sports Camp" | Campers entering grades 2-8
Designed for children who love sports and want to advance their skills in a fun and supportive camp environment. At this camp, campers will work to develop their athletics skills, learn and compete in a variety of sports and games, participate in team building exercises, and learn the value and importance of sportsmanship. The program has a strong emphasis on incorporating Jewish values and the life skills learned through sports. Sports alternate each week and will include: Basketball, Football, Soccer, Floor Hockey, and Lacrosse. Maccabi will be participating in tournaments and All-Star weeks while the rest of the Camp J Miami community cheers them on.
• Instructional American Red Cross Swim Program led by fully trained Water Safety Instructors in the year-round chilled/heated 25 yard pool • Baseball • Basketball • Soccer • Wiffle Ball • Field trips • Football • Garage Band Video/Music Production • Chugim (choice) Time (over 40 activity options) • Late night (optional each session) • Martial Arts • Rocketry
HADRACHA "Leader In Training" - LIT | Entering grade 9
HADRACHA combines leadership training with a fun camp experience. LITs will work with campers and travel on field trips or participate in leadership and team building programs for 2 days. LITS will participate in mitzvah ("good deed") projects and trips. Additionally, one day will be spent at the JCC working on camp wide special events programming, and spending time with campers.
An interview process and acceptance is required for admission into the LIT program. 80 Community Service hours will be awarded for each 4-week session. Please contact Lene Saeger, 305.271.9000 x271, to schedule an interview.
MADRICH "Counselor In Training"- CIT | Entering grade 10
Madrich CITs assist in camp groups and learn hands on skills as well as knowledge gained in leadership training sessions. A $100 stipend is given and 160 Community Service hours are awarded for each 4-week session. An interview is required for admission into the CIT program. Please contact Lene Saeger, 305.271.9000 x271, to schedule an interview. CIT staff requirement: 8 weeks preferred. Consideration will be given to 4-week applicants on an availability basis.
Become a Camp Sponsor
Your tax-deductable contribution will enable deserving children the opportunity to attend camp through the Ed Rosen Camp Scholarship Fund. Sponsorship has its privileges, including your company name appearing on signs during the camp season at the three pick-up and drop-off locations. You will also be recognized on our website and in Alper JCC publications.
For more information on becoming a camp sponsor, contact Ann Horenstein at 305.271.9000 x253.
2020 Camp Sponsors coming soon...
Nicole Fernandez, Camp & Inclusion Director
Nikki was raised in Miami and began her journey at the Alper JCC as a camper. Nikki previously worked as the Habimah Drama specialist, LIT supervisor and Inclusion Director before happily accepting the position of the Youth and Camp Director. Nikki received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Masters in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from Nova Southeastern University. She is also a certified Teacher in K-6 Elementary Education and K-12 Special education. Before joining us full-time, Nikki worked for Miami-Dade County Public Schools. Not only has Nikki grown up at our J, her sister and cousins have shared similar journeys attending ECD and attending our camp throughout their youth. She has shared all of her special memories with her nephew, who is also a “JCC lifer”. Nikki is looking forward to this next chapter of her JCC experience and considers our campus her home, and the Alper J Summer Camp her “Happy Place”!
Jenine Simon, Assistant Camp Director & Director of Youth and After School Programming
Jenine Horwich Simon was born and raised in Miami starting her Alper JCC journey in our preschool. She attended the Alper JCC Summer Camp every summer and continued as a counselor until she had her own children. Jenine has worked as a Kadima and Sabra supervisor for two summers while her 3 daughters attended our camp preschool. Jenine has a Masters in Early Childhood Education from the University of Florida and has been a Pre-Kindergarten teacher for 14 years! She is very excited to be the Assistant Camp Director ensuring that our “Camp J” is the best camp, not only for her own children but for every child that attends our amazing program.
Michelle Appelrouth Rader, Camp & Youth Curriculum Director
Michelle was born and raised in Miami and has been a part of the Jewish community throughout her life. Michelle was raised and grew up at the J and even met her husband, Josh, at the Alper JCC Summer Camp. Michelle received her Bachelors in Family and Child Science from Florida State University and her Masters in Mental Health Counseling from Nova Southeastern University. She received her Florida Teaching Certificate in Family and Consumer Science and Preschool Education in July 2005 and also worked as a Mental Health Counselor with children aged 0-5. Michelle has previously worked as the Director at various preschools as well as a high school teacher throughout Miami Dade County Public schools specializing in training future Early Childhood Educators. Over the years, Michelle has held multiple roles in camp including LIT, CIT, Jr. Counselor, Sr. Counselor, Supervisor and Specialist. Michelle and Josh have three children, Harlee, Micah and Sawyer, who have all attended ECD and attend our summer camp!